PL
We inform that the Visitor Centre is in the Krzysztofory Palace, 35 Main Square.
Can we store cookies? It will help you get the best possible experience from us but it is up to you to decide whether to decline or accept them.

Printing

Kraków is known as a birthplace of Polish language books. It has a long secular printing and bookbinding traditions. This masterpiece of artistic craftsmanship is a part of the history of our city and our country. The 16th century, known in Poland as the "golden age" and the 17th century which had brought the expansion of art of printing and the development of bookbinding and it has raised them right up to the top of true art. Nonetheless, by the end of 17th and 18th centuries and despite development of high quality book binding materials, book ornamentations and their quality worsened. The Partitions of Poland has brought to the impoverished Kraków many unfortunate changes, which also affected printing and bookbinding craft. In the 1880s the bookbinding craft experienced a rebirth because of the bookbinding manufacture technique changes. The bookbinding manufacture rose to unprecedented scale after 1900.
One of the most prominent bookbinders in Kraków, the creator of artistic bookish bindings, diplomas and book bindings gallantry was Robert Jahoda / 1862-1947 /.
Although he was born in Bochnia, because of his profession he was connected with Kraków from 1887 until his death. From 1912 on, he resided in tenement on Golebia Street where his print shop has been as well. His print shop was an industry-leader from the year 1918 until 1939.
Libraries such as Jagiellonian, The Polish Academy of Skills (PAU), Wawel castle and cathedral, Czartoryski, Kornicka and other, used to subcontract the maintenance and bindings of their books there. The most valuable conservatory work executed in his print shop was restoration of Annales seu Cronicae Regni Poloniae by Jan Dlugosz.
His bindings used to win first prizes and medals on exhibitions not only in country but also abroad (Lvov, Paris, Vienna, Leipzig, Padua, Kraków and Poznan). After his death, the company was shared between his daughter Zofia Jahoda-Broniewska and Robert Jahoda-Zóltowski.
In the 1950's, the printing office was nationalized and in 1954 the Art Industry Cooperative called "STARODRUK" was created. The cooperative took over the place and the equipment on Golebia Street.
From 1967 until the beginning of the 1990s, it was owned by the Museum. In 1982, the museum opened the exposition entitled Printing house of Robert Jahoda. The history of Kraków's art of bookbinding and printings. After the tenement was retrieved by the private owner in 1992, the exhibition was moved to the main museum in "Krzysztofory" palace.